Friday, May 4, 2012

normal vs. vivid

I went to the arboretum in Madison to go for a run and take some pictures the other day and I came across this gorgeous tree full of pink blossoms.  I'm not too into photo editing A. because I don't really know how and B. because I love pictures of things as they are to the naked I... I took the picture because I like what I saw right? So why edit? Anyway, I've always gone back and forth between putting my color settings on my Nikon on "N" for normal or "V" for vivid.  What do you guys do? Which do you prefer? Can you even tell a difference? Here are the purty pink blossoms taken on both settings:
Normal (a softer look):



Vivid (much more vibrant):



2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thanks for posting, Eliza! And what a great question! I say-- do whatever looks more true to your naked eye. If the color was more vibrant while you were there, then you should use it! I sometimes use vivid during the fall when the leaves are so vivid and colorful, but the normal setting kind of dulls the color. And I'm with you on not editing. My goal is to use manual mode much more. I also wimp out and use auto mode. I like both of your colors, actually. Which was truer to reality?

Eliza said...

Actually I think the Normal setting was truer, it was actually a softer pink that I saw, I like your tactic... what ever is truer to reality. I try to use the manual mode too but when I'm in a hurry and don't have the time to be changing settings I do "P" the programmed auto, I like it because it changes all the settings for you to what it thinks is best without using a flash (the regular auto likes to pop that flash up like its going out of style :) ).