Last week I took family pictures for the very first time. I had done candids and couple shots at my sister in-laws wedding, but taking a large family portrait was very different. Posing people is HARD! Space and shade were very limited. They were all together for graduation and decided last minute that they wanted to get family photos taken before the one family moved out West indefinitely, so they put all their trust in a complete amateur. We hurried and put together a time that would work and the photos ended up being taken on a 5 ft wide piece of lawn with bushes in the background and an ugly asphalt parking lot in the foreground. They turned out pretty good considering our limited time and limited ground space for actually taking photos. They are such a great family and I was happy to do it for them, I just hope they were happy with the results. My editing skills are super lame so don't judge those. I still have a LOT to work on for future attempts... if any of you have tips I'd gladly take them, but here are some photos from that photo shoot. I snapped a bazillion and there were just some poses where I couldn't get a kid to smile or stop making a face for the life of me... oh well, kids will be kids and thats okay!! Enjoy...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Eliza-
I think these turned out great! The composition as far as what order everyone is in and how they are spaced looks really good--and I think that is one of the hardest parts of photography so great job! (Not that I'm some big expert. :))
Eliza- I think you did an AWESOME job!!! Holy cow, girl- you are brave for shooting a HUGE family like that when you haven't done many family portraits yet. I would have been too nervous to make anything look good. You did a great job posing! There are some awesome shots in there! I really have nothing to say- I think the ONLY thing I would want different is nicer clothes-- but that's just my personal taste- and obviously they were looking for casual shots. :) I think all these shots look totally pro. Bravo! I just came across this article on poses, and I thought you'd like it. Copy and paste it in your browser: http://digital-photography-school.com/posing-guide-21-sample-poses-to-get-you-started-with-photographing-groups-of-people
Ooooh, thanks Jenn, I read through that site immediately. I think the hardest part about taking shots for other people is the posing, I seem to draw blanks every time, even if my mind was full of ideas prior to starting the shoot (I ran into that photographing my sister-in-laws wedding shots), thanks for your praises, I still have so much work to do but its nice to have a boost of confidence from a friend.
Thanks for the link Jenn; and I agree that posing is one of the hardest parts. Especially when it's a big group and you don't always have your first pick of what time of day it was. I think that they look great Eliza!
Post a Comment