Monday, June 6, 2016

My lovely neighbors

I got this random opportunity of babysitting an amazing 85mm lens for about 24 hours before returning it to a camera shop. So naturally I had to ask my neighbors last minute if they would let me take pictures of them. They were happy to oblige.

Shooting with this thing is VERY tricky. I'm impressed Eliza shot a wedding with this lens! The depth of field is so shallow, it can be very tricky to get a crisp, clear shot. It was nerve racking. I did resort to my trusty kit lens a couple of times, but for the most part, I forced myself to practice on this thing. I have never shot with this lens. I don't even know if my old camera body accurately collaborates with this super nice lens.

It does create an amazing blur in the background. Sigh... maybe one day I will take photography classes so I can really learn what the heck I'm doing. I haven't taken pictures like this in over a year, so it was good to get out of my comfort zone. I wanted to share what I did.

This was their favorite. I love the colors, but what I wish I had been paying closer attention to was how the boy on the far right was holding his knees. I did ask him to put his legs down, but I still struggle to know how to pose kids without making them nervous or overposed. Taking pictures of multiple kids is really hard for me. I have never taken family pics with four kids. I think I've only done one or two kids. So, I would have balanced it out. They like it, though, so I suppose I'm glad for them!


They were good sports and I risked being too cheesy and just asked the kids to hug their parents. This is probably my favorite one because I love the kids' smiles. I'm using my kit lens here, and you can tell because the background isn't as nice and blurry. But it's still a nice shot, I think.

 Lane was making faces behind me and the kids started laughing, so I kind of like this one. Standing pictures in general aren't my favorite, but I was trying something new.

Then I took some of the kids. I tried to do some color and some black and white. 







 Kind of random, but they asked me to take some pictures of their baby with a bunny they were bunny sitting. So I did.

 The gorgeous couple. They really are quite handsome, and they make beautiful children.

2 comments:

Eliza said...

You did a fabulous job! And I love the hug pose too, it turned out great... and man... that lens produces some amazing photos... I want one so bad!

Heather said...

OH I would love an 85mm Lens. They're pricey! This is my sisters go-to lens for her portraits she does (senior photographer). They looks great! So good to see you taking pictures.