She has since been married, but I still wanted to put these on here. My first attempt at engagement pictures. With a MANUAL focus. SO HARD. I was really really nervous. The sun was setting quickly in the canyon (this was in Immigration Canyon near SLC). It's always fun to be challenged and try to make your photos works. And it's also fun to show these to the few of you who like taking pictures.
And this was my favorite of her because this is her real happiest smile and I love it. :)
I so WISH I had a killer zoom lens. This bridge was amazing, but there was nowhere safe to take a close picture, I had to scoot down the snow bank near the river, but I was still super far away. Sigh...
She ended up blowing this one up and displaying it at her reception. :)
And this was the one they ended up including in their wedding announcement:
A few things I learned from doing this:
1. This is my best friend. Like, from childhood. She knew I would tell her yes. I don't think I'll ever take another set of engagement pictures again because I really don't know what I'm doing.
2. I should have been more upfront about wardrobe choice. It turns out my friend wishes they were more dressed up. So, for any shoot it's probably really important they know exactly the look they are going for and then dress accordingly.
3. I really do need to brush up on good poses. I was kind of letting them do what they wanted. I'm just not assertive because I get too nervous. Then after the fact when I see poses I should have fixed, I wonder why I didn't fix the poses in the moment. Oops.
4. Taking family pictures for fun is fun. Taking engagement pictures that are to be used for a real announcement is not fun- it makes me want to pee my pants and run away from my camera. :)
5. Taking pictures for your best friend is great because it's free for her, and honestly, who keeps engagement pictures anyway? Well, besides the lucky couple. :)







2 comments:
I totally agree with your bullet points at the end. Posing people is SO HARD. It has taken me a long time just to remember to be aware of telling a guy to take his keys out of his pocket or a skirt is flipped up or someone's ankles should be crossed... ugh, there is so much to think about! Everyone tells me I should charge more than 40 bucks per shoot... well, if I did then I would be so nervous about being perfect it would take all the fun out of it. I think you did a great job. I've never tried to do manual focus, why did you choose that? Is it better? Focusing has always been a tough thing as well with taking family photos so maybe I should try that.
Great job Jenn! Glad to see you still shooting. I took Logans brothers engagement pictures about three years ago and that was a learning experience. A good one though, just like this for you.
Post a Comment